Monday, January 12, 2009

My Own Worst Enemy


Ok, so I have been reading the suggested reading from the Fibromyalgia Clinic I am going to Wednesday night. (See list below*) And it looks to me like I am my own worst enemy. I don't want to give out the wrong impression here. I didn't CAUSE this illness, per se, but I didn't help it either. It seems we don't pass on FS (fibromyalgia syndrome) genetically but certain gene pools are more prone to it with the right environmental factors.

According to Dr. Elrod, I am typical of a personality type that develops FS: perfectionist, organized, type A, obsessive etc. You get the idea. I always thought those were GOOD things but I guess in heavy doses, not so much...So if you are like me at all now might be a good time to learn to relax....just a little...trust me...it would be a good idea to AVOID this if at all possible.

Lots of other factors contribute to the development of FS...it seems I have ALL of them - SURPRISE!
  • lack of exercise
  • not the healthiest of diets
  • trauma, emotional and/or physical
  • genetic predisposition
  • consistent, long term stress
  • hormone imbalance
  • uptight personality
  • negative outlook and attitude
  • putting everyone else first
  • can't say no
  • depression
This is not an easy thing to admit but the above list describes most, if not all, of my life. Little did I know that all my life "stars" would align just so and result in this insidious illness. The good news is that it is NOT TOO LATE and it is possible to reverse this, if I work at it very diligently. All I can say is I have a lot of work to do. YIKES!! But at the same time, after 50 years, it is about time I started taking care of myself.

*Knowledge is power! Your body is your number one asset. There are lots of great books out there (and a lot of misleading ones too!). Here’s a few the clinic recommends:

Reversing Fibromyalgia (Natural Fibromyalgia Healing) - Joe Elrod,
The Sugar Control Bible (Nutrition) - Jacqueline Paltis,
The Schwarzbein Principle (Nutrition) - Diana Schwarzbein,
Your Body’s Many Cries for Water (Nutrition) - F. Batmanghelidj,
8 Minutes in the Morning (Exercise) - Jorge Cruise,
Feelings Buried Alive Never Die (Emotional Healing) - Karol Truman.

No comments:

Post a Comment