Saturday, April 4, 2009

How Did I Get So Old???

Ashley just had her senior prom this past week. It was a truly bittersweet time. My baby, my last born has past this right of passage. As it turns out she didn't have a date (stupid, stupid boys!). But as it turns out at her school it is no big deal to go without a date. So she pressed forward and went anyway...I am sooo proud of her for taking the higher road and choosing not to pass up this once-of-a-lifetime opportunity. I means a lot that she was there and didn't stay home and hide. Way to go Ashley! As you will see it is some young mans loss...not hers that he didn't ask her to be his date. So with great swells of love I give you my beautiful Ashley -



One of the things I love about Liahona Academy is the tradition they have to make everyone in the senior class the kings and queens of prom. So here is Queen Ashley -



I am especially amazed as we face this new phase of Ashley's life. In her life she have overcome much to get to this place. Ashley was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 5 years old and then if that was not enough she was diagnosed with OCD 3 years later. I can remember sitting in the doctor's office crying as she told me the prognosis for this combined diagnosis. ADHD alone is enough to scare parents to death. The expectation for them is that 75% will end up in some sort of serious trouble - drugs, alcohol, teen pregnancy, school drop outs, just to name a few. I listened intently and with horror as Dr. Echert explained to me that out of all children diagnosed with OCD only 5% of them will ever graduate from high school. Out of that group only 1% will go on to college. This dim view of my daughters future left me feeling helpless and all alone in my grief. I was so overwhelmed by the task ahead that I had to take medication myself just to be able to face it.

I told Ashley what the doctor had said. Then I said, "This is what they say will happen to you, but I want to know what do you think will happen to you?" There is great power in what we think and believe about ourselves! Ashley sensed this power and replied, "I am going to graduate from high school and I am going to college!"

Since that day I have been dedicated to helping her achieve her goals. Sometimes it has taken creativity and ingenuity. I have home schooled her, taken online classes, worked with her for hours on homework and sent her to a private school. All of these things have brought us to this place, a crossroads if you will in Ashley's life. She is going to graduate. She has been accepted to attend UVU and is going to college!!! Wow! Anyone who does not believe in miracle should spend time with Ashley!

It hasn't been easy. In fact, it has been harder than it needed to be. Ashley has needed lots of love, support and understanding to make it. She has had that support from the adults in her life but the reactions of her peers has been anything but loving and supportive. Ashley has spent much of her life lonely and alone. It has been so heartbreaking for me as a parent to see her shunned and left out of school and even church circles of friends. They say that "that which does not kill you, makes you stronger." Ashley is indeed stronger for her experiences but there were times I was sure it would kill her. NO WONDER that kids with disabilities end up on drugs, in prison or pregnant as they search for acceptance and love in their relationships.

it will be interesting to see what she does now. Where she goes. What she does. She is quite remarkable!!! One of the good things about OCD is she has the ability to hyperfocus on a goal and achieve it will gusto! This is what she did when she set her mind to earn her Young Woman's Medallion as quickly as possible. Without my knowledge she set out to chip away at a goal that takes most young women 6 years to acheive. Ashley earned her medallion in 13 months! No one can tell me, or her, that she cannot do anything she sets her mind to doing! Way to go Ashley!

Ashley's Senior Pictures -


1 comment:

  1. Ashley has grown into such a beautiful young woman. Kudos to her for all she's done!

    ReplyDelete