Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thankful Thursday

I am Thankful for Peter Pan

I can't let the day go by without telling you how grateful I am for Peter Pan! I know, I know...Peter Pan??? Let me explain...

When Brent was just a little guy he was Peter Pan for Halloween. He LOVED being Peter Pan. He wore the costume everywhere long after Halloween had come and gone - to the grocery store, playing outside, and even to piano lessons. He tried to wear it to church, but I put my foot down and said no! His days and nights were filled with flying and fighting Captain Hook. It was a very magical time in his life... for him and for me. It was too cute for words. Recently, I ran across that costume in a box, it was stretched way out of shape and it is quite holey. Considering how much it was worn I am surprised it was still in one piece. At one time the costume was just above his knees - by the time it was lovingly placed in the box it was up to his waste... well worn from use and imagination. Brent was so absorbed in his Peter Pan persona that when you asked him;

"Brent what are you going to be when you grow up?"
His answer was usually, "I'm going to be Peter Pan!"

Peter Pan, the quintessential little boy who didn't want to grow up. But now that Brent has grown up - this year there is another Peter Pan to take his place. This time it is "Beary Pan," Elliot's version of the famous boy who can fly. With Evie at his side as the pixie "Tinka-bo-bo" (Tinkerbell) they are ready to take flight...the second star to the right and straight on til morning!



Thank you Elliot for reminding me of another little boy who use to wear that coveted costume. Sometimes, in my minds eye, when I look at Elliot I can see Brent in that confident stance - with hands on hips. All it takes is a little faith...trust...and pixie dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment